Monday, May 4, 2009

Rainy Day Internetting

It looks like it's going to be raining all week, which puts a bit of a crimp in my volunteering plans. No matter, there's plenty to be done inside.

I'll start out by doing a bit of reading of the book "wikinomics" by Dan Tapscott. I'm interested in this book because Dan writes specifically about the applications of mass communication within the businessplace. I would like to use mass communicative tools like wikis and blogs to organize voluntary movements throughout canada, so this is pretty key reading for me. I also believe that I could function well as a media/ communications consultant for non-profits. Anyway, a little research in this direction certainly won't hurt.

I'll also send a few more emails- to the parks board people, to the vancouver fruit tree project and to city farmer. I'd like to get in communication with them, so I can start volunteering. One thing I've noticed so far is that the route to volunteering is very indirect. In terms of a webpage, it's not just one click through. Potential volunteers often have to send an email to get on a mailing list before they know what to do- I suspect that because of this, there are lots of people in the area who want to get involved, but are stuck on the runway. I'll try to address this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment