Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Quick update on my busy day

Today was a very out of the house day. This morning I met with Vicky at a community garden on Cambie and 10th, to get a tour and chat. Much to my surprise, she had 4 cubic metres of compost being delivered, and no volunteers to help her out. I lent a hand with the shoveling and we discussed issues that the garden has run into- yet another occurrence of there being lots of volunteer interest but difficulty getting people organized. Another issue that I'm continually noticing is that people would like to get involved when they walk by a garden in their area, but there is no way for them to know who to contact or how. Vicky said that she would be interested in having me design some sinage for them, giving the name of the garden and when they meet there. I'm a little concerned about creating signs which become outdated as they change their meeting times, but I'm not sure what kinds of alternatives there might be. It may be prudent to provide them with a document that they can easily change once I'm gone.

Part of my day was spent helping set up a gallery show unrelated to Rachel Grows- I've been banking up some extra time so I could spend it today on setup. In addition, I did some light reading on city policy regarding community gardens. I spoke with my friend Scott who will be a camp counselor in Calgary this summer, who I'll be trying to link up with some community gardens or kitchens there, so he can teach kids about these lovely things. I've been thinking more about how to create a link between community gardeners in Calgary and in Vancouver.. but more on that later:)

I've set up a meeting with Ian of SPEC for next week. We'll talk about projects I can work on for them. Exciting! Also continuing iterations of the logo for VUAN- and their facebook group is starting to see a few members:) hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment